Primitive Quilts and Projects

Primitive Quilts and Projects Magazine

A premium publication dedicated to the primitive quilter, rug hooker, stitcher and more! Each issue features at least 15 projects from some of the most admired designers in the primitive fiber arts world.
www.primitivequiltsandprojects.com

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Kids make quilts too!

My neighbor's grandson (age 8) and granddaughter (age 5) came to visit yesterday while I was putting together a "Turning Twelve" quilt for my grandson (almost 4 months).  Naturally curious, they both wanted to try out my sewing machine.  Turns out they really only wanted to operate the pedal.

So I pulled out a couple scraps, lined them up, and let Avery "drive."  She did a great job, slowing down when she saw the end of the fabric approach the needle.  One look at the two pieces we put together inspired me to add another, then another, and so on (all the while Avery drove), until we had a nice, random, 24" x 36" (approx) quilt.  Wow!

Then it was Jackson's turn.  He had a vision.  "Can we take this piece and sew that piece on it, but leave one end open so it makes a pencil holder?"  "Why sure, Jackson," I said as we sewed one piece to the other, rights sides together.  The looks on his and his sister's faces were worth a million bucks as I turned the item right side out!

Their mother is an elementary school reading teacher; the two of us marveled at the excitement generated by this "old-fashioned" activity.  We both thougth it would be fun for quilt- and sewing-shops to sponsor birthday parties, and the like, for young folks to have fun creating useful and beautiful fabric art with their own hands.

I'll snap photos of Avery's quilt and Jackson's pencil pocket later today and will upload to this post.

Another note about kids and projects.  In our first issue, Lynda Hall's 7-year-old granddaughter Rebecca helped design the "Cold Days" project.

I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on kids and sewing.

Take care!
Judy

7 comments:

  1. Many families do not get the opportunity to see someone sew, EVER. It is a great experience. I think it is something my girls got to do, and I'm happy that they got to learn. We create quilts for them. Isn't it nice to get a chance to see what it is that they really WANT. What better place to ask what design ideas are "IN" and "COOL" than the kids themselves. What I think is cool is definately NOT what my 13yo thinks is cool, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is wonderful that the kids are sewing! My Mom taught my sisters and I how to sew and it was a priceless gift! We need to encourage the younger people to take it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year when my then 8 yr old grandsome came to stay for a week he made a pillow case! He loved my sewing machine. Next month when he comes again I am thinking since he is expecting a new baby in the household that he may want to start a baby quilt! When his uncle (my youngest son) was 8yrs old he won first place at the county fair for a small quilt he made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a very old small wool quilt that my father made in the third grade. He went to school in a tiny rural school house in Montana. I also have two Sunbonnet Sue type needle cases with French knot bouquets that he and one of his brothers made from wool.
    I always thought I got my sewing skills from my mother but after he gave me these gifts I thought perhaps I got it from both parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 19 month old grandson has his own "textile" drawers at Grammie's house! He is delighted to pull out his very own fat quarters and remnant pieces that will eventually become quilts for him. He points to Grammie's drawers and says "no no!" Gramps has a video of him sitting on my lap as he helped sew fence rails together ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother was an amazing seamstress. My mother taught me and I taught my daughters to sew and now they both love creating things for their homes and families. Now, I am teaching my granddaughters to quilt. We are making such great memories together. Sewing is in our family blood.

    ReplyDelete