Primitive Quilts and Projects

Primitive Quilts and Projects Magazine

A premium publication dedicated to the primitive quilter, rug hooker, stitcher and more! Each issue features at least 15 projects from some of the most admired designers in the primitive fiber arts world.
www.primitivequiltsandprojects.com

Monday, September 29, 2014

Free Primitive Sew Along, layout so far, and part 7!

Some of you have asked how the layout will be. I haven't sewn the parts together yet, so don't worry! That will come! Here is how I plan to lay out the blocks we have so far! I would wait to sew anything together though, so it will fit nicely once it's ready!

I'm including directions for the next part, but the templates may not be up on my website yet.... Maybe in the next day or so! But so you could see the photo, I'm including it!

 

For each of the little blocks below, you will need a 5" square background. My basket is made from brown textured hand dyed wool, whip stitched down with brown wool thread. The flower is red hand dyed wool, stitched down with long stitches held together in the middle of the flower with a small tack stitch. The stem is back stitched with hand dyed green perle cotton thread, from my Valdani Collection on my website, and lazy daisy stitches for the leaves! After the appliqué is complete, trim the block to 4 1/2" square!

For the pumpkin, I used hand dyed velvet, I purchased from Blackberry Primitives, and a tiny piece of hand dyed brown wool for the stem. I turned the edges under for the velvet appliqué, so I needed to add 1/4" seam allowance to the template. If you are using wool, you won't need the addition of the seam allowance. I used cotton brown thread to back stitch the detail lines on the pumpkin. Trim block to 4 1/2" square, once appliqué is done!

Enjoy!!

Jeni

 

6 comments:

  1. Love watching your progress of the quilt, I am still working on finishing my projects this year.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is looking really sweet Leeanne!
    Please tell me…In using the velvet…Does one have to use the needleturn applique or could it be applied the same way as wool applique?
    Thxs in advance:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ithe velvet frays too much, so I prefer needle turn. I haven't tried any other method with it though, so maybe I will try and see what else works. I do love needle turn though!

      Delete